Our aim at Wool CE Primary is to help our pupils become effective communicators by equipping them with a high standard of language and literacy skills, as well as a lifelong love of reading. Through high quality phonics teaching and a strong focus on both shared and individual texts, children will learn to appreciate the benefit of reading for both information and enjoyment in and out of school. In addition, the practical speaking & listening activities that children enjoy in class establish a strong command of the spoken word and lead to increased confidence and fluency in their written work.
We intend to ensure that pupils:
· read widely, fluently with good understanding
· read often for pleasure and information, both in and out of school
· acquire a wide vocabulary and secure understanding of the conventions of grammar and language
· write clearly, accurately and coherently with an ability to adapt their writing for different purposes
· use discussion to learn and to explain ideas
· are competent and confident in speaking and listening, and in sharing information
We do this through:
- Daily phonics lessons in the EYFS and Key Stage 1
- Daily reading lessons in KS1 and KS2
- Daily story time for all classes
- Vibrant and inspiring reading displays and reading corners in each classroom
- Encouraging children to read widely for pleasure through Reader of the Week certificates and our Reading Challenges
At Wool CE Primary, we support and inspire children to develop a love of reading! We do this in many ways, including celebrating pupils’ effort in reading in assembly, teachers carefully choosing books to share at story time and our motivating reading challenge.
If you are Looking for inspiration for reading at home, please find below lists of recommended books to share with your child.